Thursday, January 08, 2009

Errup

Here's a post.

I have listened to, over the last week or so:

Clouds Taste Metallic
The Soft Bulletin
Mellow Gold
Mutations
Who's Next

I feel so cool, getting so much new music recently. It's a grand old time.

Do you want me to comment on Hearst/UGO buying 1UP.com, killing EGM, and sacking a lot of the staff? Fine then.

It's sad to see a lot of great writers get let go. I've been unjustly hard on 1UP in the past out of some dumb bias shit, but they really are one of the few sites with some integrity left, and an actual desire to be interesting rather than pander to the nerdishness of the majority of gamers. The sit will still be around, with some of the staff still around, so it isn't dead yet. Even so, the large number of talented people who lost their jobs is an incredibly sad affair, and I wish them all the best.

Do I believe that the new owners will corporately destroy the soul of the site? No, not until I see it happen. UGO may be another haven for fanboys, but I'm not going to jump to conclusions.

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

At 7:37 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, it's a real bummer and I don't think I'll ever stop missing the old (old as in 3 weeks ago) 1up days, when there were still podcasts to listen to. I'm a little worried about the UGO ownership thing, but I guess things should be okay for now.

Also, I don't know why they don't keep doing Retronauts. Aside from Shane, the usual crew of Jeremy, Sharkey and Ray is still there. And the Retronauts crew was always changing anyway.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home