Friday, September 19, 2008

Oh boyzzz

The symbol trend is over...for NOW.

Now, for a nerdy stupid topic!

It was announced recently that Tatsunoko vs Capcom would be coming to the Wii (which had been rumored/speculated upon for a couple months now). Of course, as with all announcements when it comes to videogames, it was followed by Internet complainers (just the way it is). Now, I'm pretty sure most of the complaining, unlike most, is understandable: the Wii is region-locked, so that means the game can't be imported unless you mod your console. Reasonable.

Of course, the translation has bonus features, which I'm sure hardcore whiners made some time to cry about.

For example, it has an option for 'simplified controls'. Now, I don't know how these simplified controls work, but I say I don't hate the idea at all. One, simplified controls means that it might easier to work with the default Wii Remote controller. Second, I can say, from experience, simplified control schemes in Capcom's fighting games actually, generally do work. I mean, I started playing Vs. fighting games with Marvel Superheroes vs. Street Fighter on the PS1, which had simplified controls that I used. It made it fun for me as a first-timer, and ultimately I learned the hadouken motion that is now permanently lodged in my brain. Plus, it and the one in Capcom vs. SNK 2 EO (yes I got the GC one, that was the only console I had at the time!) allowed my group of non-fighting game-playing friends to get into the game and have a good time. No, most of them didn't end up like me, but so what? Fighting games are more fun with human opponents, and having that option gives a chance for more human opponents.

The other special feature is a little weirder, and little more...shall we say, stereotypical of Wii games; that being the inclusion of Wiimote Mini games. Now, personally, the concept doesn't offend me at all. If there's one thing fighting game conversions seem to lack, its extra features. Just that little something extra. (On another note, I wish more fighting games came with a tournament mode of some sort. When Super Street Fighter 2 and fucking Clay Fighter 2 have it, I don't see why its such a fucking effort for today's fighters). The games themselves might be crap, but I have no problem with them giving you more bang for your buck.

The math game in there, however, is odd. It seems to be pandering to an audience the least likely to pick up the game. But, apparently Tatsunoko is a pretty big family brand, so maybe its just giving another enticement for all those grownups who watched the shows as kids but don't play videogames. I don't know.

In any case, the actual game looks fun. Go to Youtube and look up the videos.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home