Thursday, February 16, 2006

Visuals: Marvel VS X-Men set!

Visuals is something I hope to do frequently, where I review some of my favorite art from various sources, mainly collectable card and miniatures games.
I was introduced to VS two years ago, via advertisements, and eventually the fan community. And while, due to lack of places to get the product, I have never played the game (which is unfortunate, as it looks and sounds genuinely fun and engaging), I still pay attention to the new releases. And, this being a card game, each new set brings a new batch of art. There are a number of artists who contribute to each set, including some recognizable names(like Andy Kubert adnd Chris Bachalo). And this month, a new edition to the Marvel side, The X-Men, is here. You can peek at all the cards in the set here. Here's my favorites:


For background, the card featured on the left is Savage Beatdown from the very first Marvel set, which is widely recognized as one of the best cards to ever be printed. Artie is insinuating that any and every player should take him over that gem. Whether you heed him or not...depends on your gullibility. He's a con man, that Artie.

Winner of the world's happiest mutie:



THEY GONNA GET RAPED!


Probably where the X-Men keep their stash.


Icecreeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeam!


Really effective use of lighting. Making a guy in a Victorian-era suit creepy is a laudable task indeed.

Winner of most suggestive names:



Probably where the X-Men force children to make cheap plastic trinkets.


Even Wolvie's gotta light one every once in a while.

Winner of most disturbing art:



God, Blob is such an arrogant prick.

The reason VS isn't for recovering alchoholics:



Winner of most naked:



Although it's appropriate...I never thought they would let something so bloody be in a card game that can appeal to kids.


Despite the fact that Pyro looks like a palm tree or a Cheesestring, this picture is pretty cool.


I don't know what this art has to do with teamwork, but I know what it has to do with other, er, "team efforts".


Now this picture's just silly.


*Sigh* Wouldn't this card be even more awesome if it was who it was supposed to be? X-Statix fans know what I'm talking about.


Probably where the X-Men surrender.


I really don't know why I like this guy so much. I guess I just love me some brains in robot suits.


Uh, guys, you're being attacked. Why are you just standing there? It's not like you're looking at a Picasso or a mime.


T&A, yay!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home